Show reviews that mention
bus service ticket customer service driver customer people station bus driver trip
Filter review

Greyhound Bus Fire

On 8.11.03, we got on a broken greyhound bus, the bus caught fire, the bus driver abandoned us on a smoke filled bus, a lady broke her leg trying to escape the fire, we were literally stranded on the highway(actual highway where cars drive out in the open) for over 3 hours, no cops came to help, babies hungry and tired, terrible customer service, luggage lost, no refund, and all we were offered was a free round trip ticket. If the airlines have a passengers bill of rights to protect consumers, what about The Greyhound bus Company????

my heart goes out to you all that lost everything i just got off the greyhound bus on monday and i realize that could have been me so yes i think that greyhound should have a refund and pay for ther lost items :sigh

hey man i think i was on the same bus. didn't we all die that day?

You are a liar! I was on the exact same bus, the driver did not abandon us!

He ran to the rear of the bus to shut it down manually, because the ignition wires had burned through and he couldn't disable the bus any other way. Plus the cops did show up in about 15 minutes, along with the fire dept. Granted it did take about 2 and a half hours before we were able to get on another bus.

The woman did not break her leg, but she did fall coming off the bus when you shoved her out of your way. You are an ***!

View more comments (2)
Brooklyn Park, Minnesota

Greyhound mistreats the poor

To whom it may concern; My name is Shareef Aleem, and I am a community activist in the Denver Metropolitan area and host of a local radio talk show. Over the years I have helped many people that have had conflicts with corporations and the local, state and federal government. Now, I find myself a victim of Greyhound Bus Lines. On April 1st, 2008, I was returning from Phoenix, AZ. I witnessed very rude behavior on the part of Greyhound employees. First, while standing in line waiting to purchase my ticket, I noticed an African man, who had trouble speaking English being told by a rude ticket agent that he would have to go to the end of the line to ask another question even though he had just purchased a ticket from the same agent. While, in Albuquerque, NM, I witness ed a security guard asking passengers to see their tickets. He approached one man and asked to see his ticket, the man produced the ticket without saying a word and the security guard accused him of having an attitude and made the man wait to catch a later bus. I witnessed all of this and the man never raised his voice to the security guard or gave him any problems. Rather than the passenger, it was the security guard who had the attitude problem. When I arrived in Denver I was told that one of my pieces of luggage had been lost. I filled out all the necessary forms. I was told to wait until I receive a letter from Greyhound with a claim number (235781), which I received April 16th, 2008. In the letter it states that Greyhound was unable to locate my property. And, that I needed an original bag claim check before my claim could be processed. On June 28th, 2008, I complied to the request and sent in the original claim check and a copy stapled together. On July 1st, 2008, I received a letter stating that Greyhound never received my bag check claim information and that my claim was denied. I made several telephone calls to Greyhound and told them I had sent the claim check before the date of July 1st and I had proof of that with a delivery confirmation receipt that I purchased from the post office. The number is, 0306 0320 0003 2080 5400. I spoke to a representative and I was told that my check was in the mail and that my claim was being processed. After waiting two weeks and receiving nothing I called again. This time I was told that my claim was denied. I told the representative that I had complied with their requests and sent the claim check in as I was requested before the July 1st date. The representative told me that Greyhound didn’t receive the claim check until July 14th and that therefore my claim is being denied. I protested and the representative said the case would be reopened and that I would hear something within ten (10) business days. That time has since expired. Now, my only recourse, being a community and political activist is to launch a picket campaign against Greyhound Bus Lines on behalf of myself and others who have been mistreated by Greyhound Bus Lines. This picket campaign will start August 15th at 9am and continue until Greyhound responds to my complaint. shareef aleem 720436-7606

I would recommend legal action. There are laws they have broken, and as a political activist, I think it would be ideal for you to make them accountable.

That luggage claim was denied because they felt they could.

Someone needs to take them to court. In less than thirty minutes I've found over a dozen cases where they've broken a half dozen laws.

#194081

I was a Greyhound "supporter" of sorts until recently too. I wrote a comment on this site about the bus fire that consumed the bus I was riding along with 43 other passengers (8-23-2010).

Lives were literally ruined and Greyhound has done nothing except act dismissive, dishonest, and irresponsible. As an instructor for people with disabilities who often have no other option for interstate travel, I now consider it unethical to advise any person on using this service. I, too, would like to see some accountability on the part of Greyhound. It would almost be better if it didn't exist at all.

Something better can take its place. I have yet to receive my $250 for "lost" luggage, which Greyhound essentially stole from me and won't return what could be salvaged. Forget getting a ticket refund even.

Don't even bother with finding out what happened to the bus. Apparently, according to Greyhound,when your bus burns, you lose all rights to information and to your property.

#193257

I'm sad to say that after always to trying to incorporate Greyhound into my travel plans as a company I like to support, I have recently had an absolutely terrible, ongoing customer service issue with them.

As a result of the mediocre service (that is a generous statement) I shall never use Greyhound again and I have communicated that to everyone I know. It would have cost them $80 to do the right thing and return my money to me but alas they didn't and as a result this is one company that I would be satisfied to see in bankruptcy. The market does not need a transportation company that does not value it's clients needs and is under equipped to deal with issues as they arise.

I agree on the treatment and am stunned how many times i witnessed in one night the inhumane treatment of paying citizens.

I WILL NEVER TAKE GREYHOUND AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

I will continue to titter, post etc as long as I have energy after a night of no sleep I have very little here today. I never plan to take greyhound again after my experiences on trip referenced above. I will also make sure none of my family does either. The issues are too numerous for this box and a more formal letter will follow. Nearly every single staff I encountered was rude and unhelpful if not argumentative. The very best of my encounters was still delivered with an attitude. People smoked on the bus and nothing was done. The bus was FILTHY with broken lights and seats. The luggage racks were broken and squeaked so loud not even my ipod would drown it out. Connections were missed due to lateness with no attempt to help current ticket holders over those with a later ticket. In fact we had to fight to climb around under bus to find luggage. I paid 30$ to "ship" a third bad and there were no efforts by staff to retrieve the shipped items that i was told to not handle.

I recognize that as passengers in your large system we have very little power, but this was both more expensive and much less convenient or satisfying than flying.

Every passenger I encountered had a similar horror story, like the young navy men whose bus was 2 hours delayed and the terminal closed anyway leaving them out in the cold for two hours ( FREEZING temps) in fort Eustise/Newport News. Or the several passengers i saw being YELLED at by your staff.

My fourth cousin twice removed, Dale Doback, was getting married in Loves Park, Illinois. I used Greyhound service to travel from Alaska to the wedding.

In Alaska it is illegal to have purple pens or Penthouse letters in your suitcase when traveling by order of Governor Sarah Palin. She even banded Immodium AD from the state and let me tell you there has been a toilet paper shortage for some time now. Anywho, my Greyhound bus trip took me away from the evils of Alaska.

Thank you Greyhound. You have saved me.

Rashaud

It doesn't sound like he's trying to scam if you ask me. I'd be pissed if they lost my bag and denied my claim.

$100 for missing glasses and a refund isn't that ridiculous. I've traveled with Greyhound well over a dozen times and it has been an absolute nightmare every time.

They do have rude employees too. Can't wait to see Greyhound go out of business.

I ask you not to solicit a boycott of this bus company, as they are currently hiring people like me- people who want to make something of themselves, and serve the public equally and honorably, getting them to their destinations.

Bus travel has even more attitude around it then flying- which is bad enough at this time- because of the sort of conditions inherent to traveling long distances on the road, stuffed into a can for long periods of time.

I think most operators strive to remain dignified and professional despite the stresses of this industry- at least you didn't complain about any operators. The other people kind of suck because they deal with annoyance and yelling all day and people are all the time taking out their missed buses, etc... on them, as the face of the company. If they send a guy away they could be acting unjustly, but could also be trying to keep a line moving and insure as many people as possible will make a soon-leaving departure. Also, sometimes customer service inquiries go away on their own as by another person answering the question- or etc... so they are trying to see if this will happen before taking time away from those who have been waiting.

I'd also like to point out that security guards often work for private firms, and many of these people are grumpy old military retirees, and/or tend to have mental /emotional problems. But this absurd behavior is on this individual and the security company (which sounds like Securitas...) If this person were reported enough times to Greyhound, they'd probably insist he be taken off their contract.

Shareef Aleem pulls this stuff alot. He tries to get something for nothing.

What he didn't tell you is that he tried to claim that he lost his eye glasses due to the busline and that he wanted $100.00 to replace them.

He also wanted them to refund $80.00 for the price of his ticket. He ALWAYS tries to scam.

View more comments (7)
Denver, Colorado
Greyhound Bus Service

Greyhound is in the dark ages

At the end of June, my wife and I departed from British Columbia on a cross-country motorcycle trip. Before we left, we shipped a backpack and a suitcase ahead of us to Sherbrooke, Quebec. The backpack arrived, the suitcase did not. Both were obviously part of the same shipment. We saw the tags tied onto both. We have had no luck getting any answers. When the individual stations were faxed by the original terminal, only a couple bothered to write back. We were told that they cannot track anything, despite the fact we were given a waybill number with the understanding they could. Despite numerous promises, nobody has called us back. Today, we were told that our lost baggage claim will not be processed for 60 days. Unbelievable!! It is the first shipping company I have dealt with that cannot tell you in minutes the last known location of a shipment. We want our suitcase back, not the $100 we will probably get, by the sounds of it. Get out of the dark ages, Greyhound!
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Greyhound mesa az

We bought a ticket from mesa to kingman az for our 13 year old son to meet his grandma in kingman. We, along with other passengers sat in mesa waiting for the bus to phoenix that was due to arrive at 10:55am, at about 11:10am, i asked the *** lady who was working, when the bus would be here?, she said it was running late so a shuttle would be taking everyone to phoenix. At 11:45am, i asked again, when would the bus or shuttle be here, she said soon. The shuttle arrived at 11:55am and i mentioned that the bus from phoenix was scheduled to leave at 12:01pm and she told me and everyone else that was expected to get on the 12:01pm bus that not to worry, the bus would be waiting for them. I sent my son on this shuttle, provided by greyhound and he was on his way. About 45 minutes later i get a call from my son, he said, there was no bus in phoenix waiting for them and they told him the next bus would be at 9pm and he would have to wait. Thank god, i wasnt far and was able to go and get him. Greyhound would not refund our money and we are out 75 dollars.

we tried to get my neices dad here for her mothers funrel we did not see where u had to have a credit card if u bought ticket on line for someone else and it had to be in that persons name to pick it up we had to he didnt have any extra money so we tried to pay the fee on line they would not let us they would not refund our money we had to borrow an extra money to get him here with they said it was not refunable we wanted to exchange it to get him back home they refused what kinda people can be so cold especilly when some onen passes

Chandler, Arizona

Hounded on greyhound

Driver Ms. Simmons she talked continuously and loud with passengers even through a thunderstorm She talked long and loud about personal problems. Enough! I, an 81 year old woman, quietly asked her “to please lower her voice so i could rest..”, Later, she apologized for loud talking. 'Okay, but you are the only disruptive person' “I tell you what,” she said, “If you don’t like it, just get off the bus!” Requested a reprimend for Simmons and a refund to me. So far, no response from Greyhound. Sensitivity training needed for all drivers. The next person insulted by Simmons may not be an 81 year old woman— but an confrontational 18 year old. then let the party begin.
#198456

*** it's dirt bags like that guy that work for greyhound learn some manners ***

#197929

greyhound sucks so does that guy

#197927

yeah your are absolutely correct ma'am greyhoud is a dispicable company with incompetent drivers half of whom are probably drunk or some type of influence please save yourself from this horrible transportation if you would like to call it that. greyhound is out for itself and its profit margin they have no mannners or common sense please drive your own car old people dont get the respect they deserve theses days

#19448

:grin Wow I give you credit An 81 year old that knows how to use the internet! Most seniors I know don't even know what the internet is for :p

View more comments (3)
Burton, Michigan
Loss

"Leave the driving to us, Greyhound. DON'T!" It's time WE drove Greyhound to action.

After lost luggage, a stolen wallet, and a horrible 4 day experience with Greyhound, including a week of frustrating phone calls, emails, and such with Greyhound, I'm putting together a Call To Action against Greyhound. Please read below for more information: It's time Greyhound was held accountable, so I'm putting this action together to get everyone who has ever had trouble with Greyhound's bus system to call and complain about their operating procedures, lack of customer service, amount of lost baggage, and anything else you can think of that you, or anyone you may know, want to address with Greyhound Lines, Inc. Action Dates: June 23 through 27, 2008 Action Time: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Central Standard Time (so adjust the times for your time zone.) I believe if you can post this information in your Blog, on Message Boards, on Forums, or email it to your friends. If everyone then calls, sends letters, creates picket lines outside your local Greyhound station, faxes Greyhound and Laidlaw on June 23 through the 27th, perhaps they will understand just how unhappy everyone is with their bus service. Also, please consider finding and taking another bus service. If you know of a bus service, please list it so others can learn about them. I've listed one below, after all the other information. Unpublished location of Greyhound's Corporate Offices: Greyhound Lines, Inc. Criag Lentzsch, CEO 15110 Dallas Pkwy Dallas, TX 75248-4635 U.S.A. Do NOT call the listed phone numbers for Greyhound (214-849-8218 is given but only reaches a voice system and it's almost impossible to reach a live person on the 800-231-2222 official Greyhound number.), instead reach a live person by calling any of these unpublished numbers: Operator with Executive Office: 214-849-8219 Bryan: 214-849-8217 Ursala: 214-849-8215 Safety Dept: 214-849-8214 Claudette: 214-849-8213 Jennell: 214-849-8211 These are the numbers that I was able to reach people, however, you can try to reach other live people by dialing 214-849-82XX (put any number in for the XX) The Parent Company (the company that owns Greyhound) for Greyhound is: Laidlaw Inc. 55 Shulman Boulevard, Suite 400 Naperville, IL 60563 U.S.A. Phone: 630-848-3000 Fax: 630-579-6438 Other Bus Services: Trailways services some areas, so please see this website to see if they service the areas you are traveling: http://www.trailways.com/schedules.asp Another great website to find bus services: http://www.apta.com/links/transit_by_mode/bus.cfm
#520121

Thank you so much for the info on who the CEO is. I have been looking for that for some time now. Because he is getting a letter from me and soon.

I don't know what the problem some of these People have with Greyhound; I'm a successful Computer Business owner and i ride Greyhound cause i like to see the country and stuff like that; If you don't like Greyhound; Stop Riding their Buses

I had a prob. with bus service too.

I would like to know the results of your action calls.

I can be reached @ bstill4kidz@yahoo.com. Thank you!

Donna

Do you realize that noone gives a rats *** about your whiney article? People ride Greyhound for a reason, they have no money.

And your comment in this article about "anything else you can think of" only shows you're a problem child, broke, and out to rip off a company. Deal with it.

View more comments (3)
Englewood, Colorado
Loss

Greyhound lost my living and working goods

August 2007 I left Montreal to move to Vancouver city of Canada. The purpose of this trip was establishing my Photography Exhibition and Gallery. I took a plane and my goods went through Greyhound Courier express. They gave me the above way bill no. and they said I will be able to pickup items next month(sep 2008). This customer care communications took long time until Nov 2008 they declared officially the goods are lost and I can write an official claim. At the moment I made a claim and asked them to help me to find my lost luggages. They asked me to fax the claim files to Alberta, Customer care office of Greyhound in Canada then from there they will forward the request to HQ in USA. That was odd, this big company has not separated responsible management in Canada. It was a simple shipment from Montreal to Vancouver.(Ref. waybill no.) No money can recover the damage I’ve seen by loosing the film negatives which I took during past 20 years and also my reputation in art community. At the end of story in January 2008 , They offered me 100.00$ compensation which is not even the price of any case alone with out the inner items. The shipment costs 170.00$.The weight was around 100 pounds. They want embarrassing me , it is clear , but is this their policy , every body must buy the insurance for the items they want ship, if it is why they don’t declare it at the beginning.

Speak *** English!

Burnaby, British Columbia
Loss
Twenty years ago, i enjoyed riding Greyhound. Bus drivers for the most part were pleasant and some even took a microphone while driving and entertained passengers with stories or gave a review of where we were headed and what we would see. i recently took a trip across...

estoy buscando trabajo tengo 20 a~os de esperienza como chofer y soy bilingue tel.787-414-3572

View more comments
Springfield, Missouri
Greyhound Sanitary Conditions

Greyhound is a piece of...........

I am outraged with greyhound. I have been a loyal customer of greyhound for thirteen years,. On friday march 1, 2008 Iwas scheduled to go to Eaton pa. My bus arrived an hour late and it took 5 hours to get there. something about a new driver. Well I got back on greyhound march 7 the following week. I was scheduled to go to pittsburgh for the weekend. I did so. However on momday I got on the bus and it broke down, after 30mins on the road. We were put on another bus, however our luggage was not. I was told that the bus would meet me in Harrisburg. Never happened. Now I must go through all this red tap to be compensated for all the things lost.screw greyhound..................
#197930

dude *** greyhounds toilet water have a nice day

Red tap? Momday?

Dude, get off the drugs and learn that Greyhound doesn't want you riding either. Drivers hate whiners like you, and so do the passengers.

View more comments (1)
Capitol Heights, Maryland
Loss
My friend was coming from Denver, CO to kansas for a 1 week visit. Everything went fine when he boarded the bus for Kansas. The day he was supposed to leave, we go to the bus station, and the bus never shows up. We were told by a greyhound representative that we...

Hey Greydog here... man I wish that driver could have gotten your bags off even faster than that!

We should have a sit down with that driver-driver shouldn’t have even put your bags in the bus in the first place! Wow, our bad...

View more comments