Before this incident, my experiences with Greyhound were not very notable. The buses were old and dirty, the drivers were somewhat brusque and the other passengers were not exactly the classiest folks in the world. But it got me from point A to point B at little expense and hassle, so I tolerated the faults. However, after this incident I refuse to ride Greyhound and I strongly discourage anyone I know from riding it.

One night in January 2009 I attempted to board a late-night bus at a station with a closed ticket counter. I had taken this same route at the same time several times before, and I had always paid the driver the exact cash amount of the ticket. I understood this was acceptable under company policy when the ticket counter was not in operation. This particular night I attempted to do so again. This driver informed me that I could not board the bus without a ticket. I tried to convey to him that I had done this several times before with no objections. The driver told me it was company policy to not allow this, which is a bald-faced lie.

The situation escalated when I calmly and politely pointed out his lie. He proceeded to verbally attack my character and rail into me with insults. He called me self-centered, egotistical, ignorant and ***, simply because I had the gall to correct his lie. His conduct was incredibly unprofessional and indicated that he was suffering from severe stress or possibly a mental illness. I was so confused by his lashing out that I could not come up with responses to this nonsense (which I'm sure just confirmed to him that I was "***"). In retrospect I believe the driver was attempting to provoke me into doing or saying something ***. However I took the high road and left without really saying what I thought of his conduct.

The final nail in the coffin came when I lodged a complaint against the driver. I called their customer service line and after about 30 minutes on hold, I finally reached a customer service rep. I explained the situation, then when I got to the part about the insults I heard the rep chuckle slightly, as if this was supposed to be funny. At this point I should have requested the supervisor, but I neglected this. In the end, all I got was a form letter. They couldn't even give me a lousy coupon or voucher. They know they have essentially no competition, why bother treating the customer well?

I will never ride Greyhound again, especially since I found an alternate bus line between the two cities I frequent. This line is not affiliated with Greyhound and has clean modern buses, courteous drivers and passengers that don't look and act like hoodlums.

Product or Service Mentioned: Greyhound Bus Service.

Comments

Here are my experiences on Greyhound:

I myself have never had a problem with a greyhound driver, but then again I generally follow their rules, don't ask them to go against safety regulations just because they do not "Work for me" as some people do.

The people I have seen on Greyhound that have problems are usually offensive to other riders, have a disregard for civil manners, or have terrible hygiene habits.

Problem passenger - The mom who brings her 4 small children on a Greyhound for a cross country ride but does not ensure that she has brought proper snacks, quiet entertainment, and good parenting skills with her. I am sure she has problems in many other civil environments.

Problem passenger - The ghetto king who seems to be moving to a song that no one but him can hear as he joins in on chorus as he sings "I B Doin' Da Nasty with Da *** From Da Show", or "F#@K You And F#@K Her Too", or Face Down And *** Up Thats The Way I Like Too F#@k." Ghee, I can't for the life of me figure why the driver had a problem with this guy.

Problem passenger - Old man who looked and smelled like he had not bathed in months. Wearing ONLY bib overalls with buttons missing from the crotch giving everyone within eye shot a view of Mr. Winky. I don't care if you are poor, you still need to be considerate of the public and clean up before putting yourself in a confined space with dozens of other people.

Please be considerate and think about how you will be effecting others with your behavior, attitude, and preparations.

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #219854
I have an IP tracer and I am wondering why both the posts by Dubfan, the letter and the post by "well" show up on the same IP address? :?
Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #219852

This person was caught on his lies. He claimed he was kicked off the bus.

Then he claimed that the bus driver drove recklessly to get the driver in trouble. When pointed out that he could not have known that the bus driver was driving recklessly since he was not on the bus he pretended he was being impostered. We have many like him who when proven wrong deny posting. Why would someone go out of their way to get the driver fired.

Because not stopping at railroad signs, and running red lights is grounds for getting fired. The person making this letter was trying to get the driver fired but failed to do so when his facts did not add up.

yes greyhound employs habitual liars to lie to the passengers so they can scam old ladies out of their travel money sad day for greyhound

If you look at the grammar and spelling of the original poster, and then at the same qualities of the "Dubfan" on 20-11-2010 at 00:46, you will see distinct differences. I suspect that was, indeed, an impostor, though I don't know why someone would do that.

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #213703

Why would someone post the comment about the driver running a red light and all that to make the driver look bad. It is you not them who had an issue with the driver.

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #213702

Now that you were caught on your lies you are claiming it was an imposter. Either way you are obviously lying about the policy.

They always had a policy that you needed a ticket before you boarded the bus.

You were lying by saying they allowed you to buy the ticket on the bus. Just do the adult thing and admit that you did not have time to buy the ticket and were hoping to buy it on the bus before it left.

"Wait a minute", that comment was not written by the actual author of this post. That "Dubfan" is an imposter.

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #213593

I thought you said that the bus driver refused to allow you on the bus and you left the bus. How could you have known that he ran red lights and did not stop at railroad crossings if you were not on the bus?

Frankly I don't believe a word of this story. You can't keep your story straight and are just trying to get him in trouble for following policy.

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #213592

Further more when he was taking me from point A to point B. He ran a red light, he was speeding a few times I thought he would get into an accident and he did not stop at railway crossings.