Verified Reviewer

1.7

I visited the States a couple of years back and travelled some 5000 miles on Greyhound buses. The company was not the same Greyhound that, back in 1971, took me and another passenger in an empty replacement bus from New York to Montreal just because the regular bus was fully booked.

No extra cost. All covered by my See America ticket.

Indeed the modern Greyhound is a poor excuse for a transport company. Instead of See America tickets, a very complicated single-ticket booking procedure. No refund, no exchange.

The buses are notoriously late; what's more they are uncomfortable and filthy, other buses are filthy and uncomfortable.

So what happened to me? My bus was so late getting to Baltimore that I had to take a taxi and a train if I was to get to Washington DC some time today.

No compensation. But that incident I blame on the snow storm. An act of God.

So, let me tell you how my bag was stolen. Not an act of God but faulty company policy. Again, no compensation.

I was travelling from New Orleans to Dallas. At Baton Rouge I happened to be one of the first passengers off.

A person getting off at Baton Rouge simply swiped off my bag from my seat as he/she got off the bus after me. The thief had plenty of time to get away before I was allowed back on board. I saw my bag was missing and raised alarm, naturally. However I had no time to go to the police because the bus would have taken off without me.

At rest stops the coach captain always orders everybody off the bus.

The driver explains that personal items such as coats and cabin bags are safe because the bus is then locked.

Clearly, the information is not quite accurate.

I phoned Customer Service hoping to find understanding but was only told I had to report the incident at Dallas. Which I did. Wasted loads of time to list all the items missing, as well as other details. Weeks later, when I was back in Europe, some bureaucrat wrote to me: Nyet.

Rejecting my claim for compensation Greyhound said at all times in general and at rest stops in particular passengers themselves were responsible for any non-checked items left in the bus.

I might as well have left my bag on the sidewalk.

I wrote back explaining the company must surely be liable for loss of items left in the care of the driver in charge.

After all, I was complying with company policy and the instructions given. Was that not worth at least a symbolic voucher - some token of compensation?

User's recommendation: Hang on to your personal items at all times.

Preferred solution: Apology.

Greyhound Pros: Transportation service is always needed.

Greyhound Cons: Dirty and unsafe bus depots.

Location: Rue Saint-Joseph, Gracefield QC J0X